NAME OF THE BOOK – THINK AND GROW RICH
AUTHOR OF THE BOOK – NAPOLEON HILL
STATUS – INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER
PAGES – 271
TOTAL NUMBER OF CHAPTERS – 15
GET THE PAPERBACK BOOK AT – https://amzn.to/3mI8aNA
GET THE E-BOOK AT – https://amzn.to/3g9GRKA
THINK AND GROW RICH, is an exceptional international bestseller by NAPOLEON HILL, which unveils the secret to freedom and success. It is not just an ordinary lecture book, it is one of the most practical books which is prepared by surveying more than 25,000 successful people across the world on an average period of over 25years, which is simply remarkable. In more precise words, it is the success syrup for those, who are ready to achieve success.
“What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve” is one of Hill’s expressions.
Life is strange and often imponderable! Both the successes and the failures have their roots in simple experiences. When you begin to THINK AND GROW RICH, you will observe that riches begin with the state of mind, with definiteness of purpose, with little or no hard work. One of the main weakness of mankind is the average man’s familiarity with the word,” impossible”. He knows all the rules which will NOT work. He knows all the things which CANNOT be done. As success comes to those, who are SUCCESS CONSCIOUS, similarly, failure comes to those, who are FAILURE CONSCIOUS. This book through its THIRTEEN PRINCIPLES, teaches us to change our mindset from being failure to success conscious. But keep in mind, as you follow these principles, that the entire story of how one may convert DESIRE into money cannot be told in one statement. The story will be complete, only when one has MASTERED, ASSIMILATED, and BEGUN TO MAKE USE of all principles.
So, before any further ado, let’s get started –
- DESIRE – It is the steppingstone towards the riches. Having, a mere hope, or wish, will not fetch success, for success it is necessary that you have a BURNING DESIRE, which is DEFINITE. Everything else we see now, was once a desire of someone, which has led the world transform from that stone age to this modern age. The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE. Keep this in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat.
Author quotes a fabulous example which can describe this step very well! Long ago, a great warrior faced a situation which made it necessary for him to make a decision which insured him success on the battlefield. He was about to send his armies against a powerful foe, whose men outnumbered his own. He loaded his soldiers into boats, sailed to the enemy’s country, unloaded soldiers and equipment’s, then gave the order to burn the boats that had carried them. Addressing his men before fight he said, “You see the boats going up in smoke. This means that we cannot leave these shores alive unless we win! We now have no choice – we win, or we perish!” They won.
Everyone who wins in any undertaking, must be willing to burn his boats and cut all the sources of retreat. Only by doing so, can one be sure of maintaining that state of mind known as a BURNING DESIRE TO WIN, essential to success.
Author describes six practical steps by which one can transmute his DESIRE to its physical equivalent, viz:
- Fix your mind to the exact amount of money (here, it is described in terms of money, but these principles are applicable in fields of life) you desire. It is not sufficient merely to say, “I want plenty of money”. Be definite as to the amount. (There is a psychological reason for definiteness which you will understand as you go through these 13 principles carefully).
- Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the money, you desire. (There is no such reality as “something for nothing”).
- Establish a definite date when you intend to possess the money you desire.
- Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action.
- Write out clearly, concise statement of the amount of money you intend to acquire, name the time limit for its acquisition, state what you intend to give in return for the money, and describe clearly the plan through which you intend to accumulate it.
- Read your written statement aloud, twice daily, once just before retiring at night, and once after arising in the morning. AS YOU READ – SEE AND FEEL AND BELIEVE YOURSELF ALREADY IN POSSESSION OF THE MONEY.
These steps do not require any “hard labour”, nor do it require any sacrifice, nor does it require to have great amount of education. The only thing it requires is the successful application of these simple six steps.
“SUCCESS REQUIRES NO APOLOGIES, FAILURE PERMITS NO ALIBIS.”
If the thing you wish to do is right, and you believe in it, go ahead and do it! Put your dream across, and never mind what “they” say if you meet with temporary defeat, for “they” perhaps, do not know that:
“EVERY FAILURE BRINGS WITH IT THE SEED OF AN EQUIVALENT SUCCESS.”
The greatest achievement was at first, and for a time, but a dream. But remember that, dreams are not born of indifference, laziness, or lack of ambition.
Every successful person may it be Edison, Charles Dickens, Helen Keller, Wright brothers, or any other great personality, are proof of this powerful step of DESIRE. Even author James Allen says, we become that, what we think – https://theanamikapandey.com/as-a-man-thinketh/
There is a difference between WISHING for a thing and being READY to achieve it. No one is ready for a thing, until he believes he can acquire it. The state of mind must be BELIEF, not mere hope or wish. Open mindedness is essential for belief. Closed minds do not inspire faith, courage, and belief. Our only limitations are those that we set up in our minds. There is nothing called IMPOSSIBLE for the person who backs DESIRE with enduring FAITH.
2. FAITH – It is the head chemist of the mind. Author says, when FAITH is blended with the vibration of thought, the subconscious mind instantly picks up the vibration, translates it into its spiritual equivalent, and transmits it to Infinite Intelligence, as in case of prayer. It is a state of mind, which can be created or induced to the subconscious mind through the principle of Auto Suggestion. Repetitive affirmation of orders to your mind is the only known method of voluntary development of the emotion of FAITH, because it is a well-known fact that one comes, finally to BELIEVE whatever one repeats to one’s self, whether the statement may be true or false. Any thought, either positive or negative, when mixed with FAITH, immediately begin to translate them into their physical counterpart. So, those who believe that they are “doomed”, actually it’s their negative thoughts which have been picked up by their subconscious mind and firmed by their faith. Similarly, when positive emotions or thoughts are residing in your mind, you feel positive around you. FAITH is the “external elixir” which gives life, power, and action to the impulse of thought! FAITH is the antidot of FAILURE! FAITH is the only agency through which the cosmic force of Infinite Intelligence can be harnessed and used by man.
If you fill your mind with FEAR, doubt and unbelieve in your ability to connect with, and use the force of Infinite Intelligence, the law of auto suggestion will take this spirit of unbelieve and use it as a pattern by which your subconscious mind will translate it into it’ physical equivalent. Hence, you should try to fill you mind with CONFIDENCE, clarity, and positive belief, and you will see your DESIRE translating into its physical counterpart.
“RICHES BEIGIN IN THE FORM OF THOUGHT!”
The amount is only limited to person’s thought. FAITH removes limitations!
“THERE ARE NO LIMITATIONS TO THE MIND EXCEPT THOSE WE ACKNOWLEDGE”
“BOTH POVERTY AND RICHES ARE THE OFFSPRING OF THOUGHT”
3. AUTO-SUGGESTION – It is the term which applies to all suggestions and all self-administered stimuli which reach one’s mind through the five senses. NO THOUGHT whether POSITIVE or NEGETIVE CAN ENTER THE SUBCONSCIOUS MIND WITHOUT THE AID OF THE PRINCIPLE OF AUTO SUGGESTION, with the exception of thought picked up by the ether. Author says, plain, unemotional words do not influence the subconscious mind. You will get no results until you learn to reach your subconscious mind with thoughts, or spoken words which have been well emotionalized with BELIEF. But with practice of PERSISTENCE, you can connect your thoughts with emotions. Your ability to use the principle of auto suggestion will depend very largely, upon your capacity to CONCENTRATE upon a given DESIRE util that desire becomes a BURNING OBSESSTION. The actual performance of transmuting DESIRE into money, involves the use of AUTO SUGGESTION as an agency by which one may reach, and influence, the sub conscious mind. The other principles are simply tools with which to apply auto suggestion. Keep this thought in mind, and you will, at all times, be conscious of the important part of the principle of auto suggestion is to play in your efforts to accumulate money through the methods described through these principles.
4. SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE – Author says, there are mainly two types of knowledge – one is GENERAL (no matter how great in quantity or variety it may be, is of but little use in the accumulation of money) and SPECIALIZED. KNOWLEDGE will not attract money, unless it is organized, and intelligently directed, trough practical PLANS OF ACTIONS, to the DEFINITE END of accumulation of money. Knowledge is potential power. It becomes power only when and if, it is organized into definite plans of action, and directed to definite goal. The word “EDUCATION” has come from the Latin word, “EDUCO” which means to, educe, or to draw out, or to DEVELOP FROM WITHIN. An educated man is not, necessarily, one who has an abundance of general or specialized knowledge, but an educated man is one who has so developed the faculties of his mind that he may acquire anything he wants, or its equivalent, without violating the rights of others. And any man be educated who knows where to get knowledge when he needs it, and how to organize that knowledge into definite plan of action.
In order to transmute your DESIRE into its monetary equivalent, you need to have SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE of the service, merchandise, or profession which you intend to offer in return for fortune. Perhaps, you may need much more specialized knowledge than you have the ability or the inclination to acquire, and if this should be true, you might bridge your weakness through the aid of your “MASTER MIND GROUP”.
The person who stops studying merely because he has finished school is forever hopelessly doomed to mediocrity, no matter what may be his calling. The way of success is the way of continuous pursuit of knowledge.
Author says, we rise to high positions or remain at the bottom BECAUSE OF CONDITIONS WE CAN CONTROL IF WE DESIRE TO CONTROL THEM. Both success and failure are largely because of HABITS! Author believe that, CLOSE ASSOCIATION WITH ONE WHO REFUSES TO COMROMISE WITH CIRCUMSTANCES HE DOES NOT LIKE, IS AN ASSET THAN CAN NEVER BE MEASURED IN TERMS OF MONEY.
THERE IS NO FIXED PRICE FOR SOUND IDEAS!
Back of all IDEAS is specialized knowledge. Unfortunately, for those who find riches in abundance, specialized knowledge is more easily acquired than IDEAS. Because of this very truth, there is a universal demand and an ever-increasing opportunity for the person capable of helping men and women to sell their personal services advantageously. Capability means IMAGINATION, the one quality needed to combined specialized knowledge with IDEAS, in the form of ORGANIZED PLANS designed to yield riches. Remember, the IDEA is the main thing, specialized knowledge may be found just around the corner – any corner!
5. IMAGINATION – Author says imagination is literally the workshop wherein are fashioned all plans created by man. The impulse, the DESIRE, is given shape, form, and ACTION through the aid of imaginative faculty of the mind. It is said that man can create anything which he can imagine. MAN’S ONLY LIMITATION, within reason, LIES IN HIS DEVELOPMENT AND USE OF HIS IMAGINATION. There are mainly two types of imaginations –
- SYNTHETIC IMAGINATION – Through this faculty, one may arrange old concepts, ideas, or plans into new combinations. This faculty creates nothing. It merely works with the material of experience, education, and observation with which it fed.
- CREATIVE IMAGINATION – Through this faculty, the finite mind of man has direct communication with Infinite Intelligence. It is the faculty through which “hunches” and “inspiration” are received. This faculty functions only when the conscious mind is vibrating at an exceedingly raid rate, as for example, when the conscious mind is stimulated through the emotion of a strong desire. The creative faculty becomes more alert, more receptive to vibrations from the sources, in proportion to its development through USE. This statement is significant! Ponder over it before passing on.
Your imaginative faculty may have become weak through inaction. It can be made alert through USE. This faculty does not die, though it may become quiescent through lack of use. Centre your attention, for the time being, on the development of the synthetic imagination, because this is a faculty which you will use more often in the process of converting desire into money. While synthetic faculty is the one used more frequently, you must keep in mind the fact, that you may face circumstances and situations which demand the use of creative faculty as well. Transformation of intangible impulse, of DESIRE, into the tangible reality, of MONEY, calls for the use of a plan, or plans. These plans must be formed with the aid of the imagination, and mainly, with the synthetic faculty.
Author says that, a better definition of genius is, “a man who has discovered how to increase the vibrations of thought to the point where he can freely communicate with sources of knowledge not available through the ordinary rate of vibration of thought”. The major difference between the genius and the ordinary inventor, may be in the fact that, the genius works through his faculty of creative imagination, while the ordinary, knows nothing of this faculty.
Ideas are the beginning points of all fortunes. Ideas are products of the imagination. Thoughts are things, and their scope of operation is the world, itself. Ideas are intangible forces, but they have more power than the physical brains that give birth to them. First you give life and action and guidance to ideas, then they take on power of their own and sweep aside all oppositions. They have the power to live on, after the brain that creates them has returned to dust!
“SUCCESS REQUIRES NO EXPLANATIONS FAILURE PERMITS NO ALIBIS!”
6. ORGANIZED PLANNING – Any desire can be transmuted into its physical counterpart through the practice of organized planning. Author has instructed how to build plans which will be practical, viz:
- Ally yourself with a group of as many people as you need for the creation, and carrying out of your plan, or plans for the accumulation of money – making use of the “MASTER MIND” principle. This is the most important point in organized planning.
- Before forming your “MASTER MIND” alliance, decide what advantages, and benefits, you may offer the individual members of your group, in return for their cooperation. No one will work indefinitely without some form of compensation (this may not be necessarily in the form of money only).
- Arrange to meet with the members of your “MASTER MIND” group at least twice a week, and more often if possible, until you have jointly perfected the necessary plan, or plans for the accumulation of money.
- Maintain PERFECT HARMONY between yourself and every member of your “MASTER MIND” group. If you fail to carry out this instruction to the letter, you may expect to meet with failure. The “MASTER MIND” principle cannot obtain where PERFECT HARMONY does not prevail.
You may originate your own plans, either in whole or in part, but SEE THAT THOSE PLANS ARE CHECKED AND APPPROVED BY MEMBERS OF YOUR “MASTER MIND” GROUP.
If your first plan does not work successfully then adopt the second, if the second one also fails, the adopt the third, and so on, until you find a plan which DOES WORK, because that defeat is not the permanent failure, it may only mean that your plans have not been sound, build other plans, START ALL OVER AGAIN. Right here is the point at which the majority of people meet failure, because of their lack of PERSISTENCE in creating new plans. No man is ever whipped, until he QUITS – in his own mind. This fact will be repeated many times, because it is so easy to “take the count” at the first sign of defeat.
We see people who are success, but we often recognize their triumph, overlooking the temporary defeats which they had to surmount before achieving success.
“A QUITTER NEVER WINS – AND – A WINNER NEVER QUITS!”
Now there are two types of people – LEADERS and FOLLOWES. Decide at the outset whether you intend to become a leader in your chosen calling, or remain a follower. It is no disgrace to be a follower, on the other hand, it is no credit to remain a follower. Most great leaders began in the capacity of followers. They became great leader because they were INTELLIGENT FOLLOWERS. An intelligent follower has many advantages, among them the OPPORTUNITY TO ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE FROM HIS LEADER. You can learn the eleven qualities of leader as described by the author from this link –https://theanamikapandey.com/the-eleven-qualities-of-a-leader/
There are two forms of LEADERSHIP. The first, and by far the most effective is LEADERSHIP BY CONSENT of, and with the sympathy of followers. The second is LEADERSHIP BY FORCE, without the consent and sympathy of followers. History is filled with evidences that LEADERSHIP BY FORCE cannot endure.
We should also consider the faults of leaders who fail, because it is just as essential to know WHAT NOT TO DO as it is to know what to do. You learn the major failures as described by the author from this link and try not to trail them in your life – https://theanamikapandey.com/the-thirty-major-causes-of-failure/
7. DECISION – An analysis shows that the LACK OF DECISION is on the top among the thirty major causes of failures. PROCRASTINATION, the opposite of DECISION, is a common enemy which practically every man must conquer. If you are influenced by the opinion of others, you will have no DESIRE of your own. Take on one into your confidence, EXCEPT the members of your “MASTER MIND” group, and be very sure in your selection of this group, that you choose ONLY those who will be in COMPLETE SYMPATHY AND HARMONY WITH OUR PURPOSE. You have a brain and mind of your own. USE IT, and reach your own decision. If you need facts or information from other people, to enable you to reach decisions, as you probably will in many instances; acquire these facts or secure the information you need quietly, without disclosing your purpose.
It is a characteristic of people who have but a smattering or a veneer of knowledge to try to give the impression that they have much knowledge. Such people generally do TOO MUCH talking and TOO LITTLE listening. Keep your eyes and ears wide and your mouth CLOSED, if you wish to acquire the habit of prompt DECISION. Those who talk too much do little else. If you talk more than you listen, you not only deprive yourself of many opportunities to accumulate useful knowledge, but you also disclose your PLANS and PURPOSES to people who will take great delight in defeating you, because they envy you. Genuine wisdom is usually conspicuous through modesty and silence. Let one of your first decision be to KEEP A CLOSED MOUTH AND OPEN EARS AND EYES.
“TELL THE WORLD WHAT YOU INTEND TO DO, BUT FIRST SHOW IT!”
“DEEDS, AND NOT WORDS, ARE WHAT COUNT MOST!”
DEFINITENESS OF DECISION always requires courage. Sometimes very great courage. Financial independence, riches, desirable business and professional positions are not within reach of the person who neglects or refuses to EXPECT, PLAN and DEMAND these things. Any instruction will be of no value UNLESS YOU DEFINITELY DECIDE to organize them into a plan of action.
8. PERSISTENCE – It is an essential factor in the procedure of transmuting your desires into its monetary equivalent. The basis of persistence is the POWER OF WILL. Will power and desire, when properly combined, make an irresistible pair. The ease with which lack of persistence may be conquered will depend entirely upon the INTENSITY OF ONE’S DESIRE. Be PERSISTENT no matter how slowly you may, at first, have to move.
“WITH PERSISTENCE WILL COME SUCCESS!”
“THERE IS NO SUBTITUTE FOR PERSISTENCE!”
It cannot be supplanted by any other quality! Those who have cultivated the HABIT of persistence seem to enjoy insurance against failure. Read from this link, to know about the causes of persistence, the symptoms of lack of persistence and the ways to develop persistence –https://theanamikapandey.com/persistence/
9. POWER OF THE MASTER MIND – POWER is essential for success in the accumulation of money. PLANS are inert and useless, without sufficient POWER to translate them into ACTION. POWER, as described by author here, refers to ORGANIZED effort, sufficient to enable an individual to transmute DESIRE into its monetary equivalent.
“POWER IS REQUIRED FOR THE ACCUMULATION OF MONEY! POWER IS NECESSARY FOR THE RETENTION OF MONEY AFTER IT HAS BEEN ACCUMULATED!”
If power is “organized knowledge”, then the possible sources of knowledge are:
- INFINITE INTELLIGECE
- ACCUMULATED EXPERIENCE
- EXPERIMENT AND RESEARCH
Author says that the “MASTER MIND” may be defined as: “Coordination of knowledge and effort, in a spirit of harmony, between two or more people, for the attainment of definite purpose.”
There are only two known elements of this universe, ENERGY and MATTER. As MATTER may be broken down into units of molecules, atoms, and electrons, in the same way, human mind is a form of ENERGY, when minds of two people are coordinated in a SPIRIT OF HARMONY, the spiritual units of energy of each mind form an affinity, which constitutes the “psychic” phase of the MASTER MIND.
Poverty needs no plan, no aid, because it is bold and ruthless. Riches are shy and timid, they have to be “attracted”.
“ANYBODY CAN WISH FOR RICHES, AND MOST PEOPLE DO IT, BUT ONLY A FEW KNOW THAT A DEFINITE PLAN, PLUS A BURNING DESIRE FOR WEALTH, ARE THE ONLY DEPENDABLE MEANS OF ACCUMULATING WEALTH!”
10. THE MASTERY OF SEX TRANSMUTATION – The meaning of the word, “transmute” is, in simple language, “the changing or transferring of one element, or form of energy, into another”. The emotion of sex brings into being a state of mind. Because of ignorance on the subject, this state of mind is generally associated with the physical, and because of improper influence, to which most people have been subjected, in acquiring knowledge of sex, things essentially physical have highly biased the mind. The emotion of sex has back of it the possibility of three constructive potentialities, they are –
- The perpetuation of mankind.
- The maintenance of health.
- The transformation of mediocrity into genius through transmutation.
Sex transmutation in simple term means, the switching of the mind from thoughts of physical expression, to thoughts of some other nature.
Sex desire is the most powerful of human desire. When driven by this desire, men develop keenness of imagination, courage, will power, persistence and creative ability unknown to them at other times.
Author says that, the human mind is highly responding to these ten stimuli’s –
- The desire for sex expression.
- A burning desire for fame, power, or financial gain, money
- A Master Mind alliance based upon the harmony of two or more people who ally themselves for spiritual or temporal advancement
- Mutual suffering
- Auto suggestion
- Narcotics and alcohol
The desire for sex expression comes at the head of the list, which effectively “step-up” the vibrations of the mind and start the “wheel” of physical action. Eight of these stimuli are natural and constructive, two are destructive. The human mind responds to stimulation. Among the greatest, and the most powerful is the urge of sex. When harnessed and transmuted, this driving force is capable of lifting men into that higher sphere of thought which enables them to master the source of worry and pretty annoyance which beset their pathway on the lower plane. Sex energy is the creative energy of all. There has been, and never will be a great leader, builder, or artist lacking in the driving force of sex. The urge of sex has been grossly misunderstood, slandered, and burlesqued by the ignorant and the evil minded, for so long that the very word sex is seldom used in polite society. However, the over indulgence in sex expression may become a habit as destructive and as detrimental to creative effort as narcotics or liquor. A sex mad man is not essentially different that a dope mad man! Sexual overindulgence may not only destroy reason and will power but it may also be either temporary, or permanent insanity. Sex alone is a mighty urge to action, but its forces are like a cyclone – they are uncontrollable. When emotion of love begins to mix itself with the emotion of sex, the result is calmness of purpose, poise, accuracy of judgement, and balance.
11. THE SUBCONSIOUS MIND – It consists of a field of consciousness, in which every impulse of thought that reaches the objective mind through any of these five senses, is classified and recorded, and from which thoughts may be recalled or withdrawn as letter may be taken from a filing cabinet. It saves the sensations or thoughts, regardless of their nature, hence any thought, plan, or purpose can be voluntarily planted in the subconscious mind, which are desired to be transmuted into physical equivalent. Through a method of procedure, unknown to man, the subconscious mind draws upon the forces of Infinite Intelligence for the power with which it voluntarily transmutes one’s desire into their physical counterpart, making use, always of the most practical media by which this may be accomplished. It creates a connecting link between the finite mind and the Infinite Intelligence. It alone contains the secret process by which mental impulses are modified and changed into their spiritual equivalent. The subconscious mind does not remain idle! If you fail to plant DESIRE in your subconscious mind, it will feed upon the useless thoughts which will reach it as the result of your neglect. The subconscious mind responds more quickly and is influenced more readily by thought impulses which are well mixed with emotion. There are seven positive and seven negative types of emotions, which Author has described. The negatives involuntarily inject themselves into the thought impulses, which insure passage into the subconscious mind. The positives must be injected, through principle of auto – suggestion, into the thought impulses which an individual wishes to pass on to his subconscious mind.
THE SEVEN MAJOR POSITIVE EMOTIONS – (which need to be acquired)
THE SEVEN MAJOR NEGETIVE EMOTIONS – (which need to be avoided)
Positive and negative cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It your responsibility to make sure that positives, take the dominance over your mind. Here, the LAW OF HABIT will come to your aid. Form a habit of applying and using the positive emotions! Check this link to train your brain – https://theanamikapandey.com/how-to-control-your-mind/
12. THE BRAIN – Every human brain is both a broadcasting and receiving station for the vibrations of thoughts. Through the medium of ether, in a fashion similar to that employed by the radio broadcasting principle, every human brain is capable of picking up vibrations of thought which are being released by other brains. The Creative Imagination is the “receiving set” of the brain, which receives thoughts, released by the brains of the other, or from the ether. It is the agency of communication between one’s conscious, or reasoning mind, and the four sources from which one may receive through stimuli. When stimulated, or “stepped up” to a higher vibration, the mind becomes more receptive to the vibration of thought which reaches it through the ether from outside sources. This “stepping up” process takes place through the positive emotions, or negative emotions. The subconscious mind is the “sending station” of the brain, through which vibrations of thought are broadcasted. Thought is energy travelling at an exceedingly high rate of vibrations. Thought, which has been modified or “stepped up” by any of the major emotions, vibrates at a much higher rate than ordinary thought, and it is this type of thought which passes from one brain to another, through the broadcasting machinery of the human brain. You have but three principles to bear in mind, and to apply, when you wish to use your broadcasting station – the SUBCONSCIOUS MIND, CREATIVE IMAGINATION, and AUTO-SUGGESTION. The stimuli through which you put these three principles into action have been described – the procedure begins with DESIRE.
13. THE SIXTH SENSE – The thirteenth and the last step is the SIXTH SENSE, through which Infinite Intelligence may, and will communicate voluntarily, without any effort from, or demand by, the individual. This principle is the apex of the philosophy. It can be assimilated, understood, and applied ONLY by first mastering the rest of the twelve principles. The SIXTH SENSE is that portion of the subconscious mind which has been referred to as the CREATIVE IMAGINATION. It has also been referred to as the “receiving set” through which ideas, plans, and thoughts flash into the mind. The “flashes” are sometimes called “hunches” or “inspiration”. It cannot be explained to a person who has not mastered the other principles of the philosophy, because such a person has no knowledge, and no experience with which the sixth sense may be compared. Understanding of the sixth sense comes only by meditation through mind development from within. It is probably the medium of contact between the finite mind and the Infinite Intelligence, and for this reason, it is a mixture of both the mental and the spiritual. It is believed to be the point at which the mind of man contacts the Universal Mind. Through the aid of sixth sense, you will be warned of impending dangers in time to avoid them, and notified of opportunities in time to embrace them, it is the “guardian angel” who will open to you at all times the door to the “TEMPLE OF WISDOM”. Author is not a believer in, nor an advocate of “miracles”, for the reason that he has enough knowledge of NATURE to understand that NATURE never deviates from her establish laws. Some of her laws are so incomprehensible that they produce what appear to be “miracles”. Somewhere in the cell structure of the brain, is located an organ which receives vibrations of thought ordinarily called “hunches”. So far, science has not discovered where this organ is located, but this is not important. The fact remains that human beings do receive accurate knowledge, through sources other than the physical senses. Such knowledge is generally received when the mind is under the influence of extraordinary stimulations.
The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE, and the finishing point is the brand of KNOWLEDGE, which leads to understanding – understanding of self, understanding of others, understanding of the laws of NATURE, recognition and the understanding of HAPPINESS.
HOW TO OUTWIT THE SIX GHOSTS OF FEAR
Author says, BEFORE you can put any portion of philosophy into successful use, your mind must be prepared for it. The preparation is not difficult. It begins with study, analysis, and understanding of three enemies which you should have to clear out.
These are INDECISION, DOUBT, and FEAR.
INDECISION is the seedling of FEAR! Indecision crystalizes into DOUBT, the two blend and become FEAR! This “blending” process is often slow. This is one reason why these three enemies are so dangerous. They germinate and grow without their presence being observed. Author has described the six basic fears which can destroy one’s decision making capability.
THE SIX BASIC FEARS –
- The fear of POVERTY
- The fear of CRITICISM
- The fear of ILL HEALTH
- The fear of LOSS OF LOVE OF SOMEONE
- The fear of OLD AGE
- The fear of DEATH
Author says, fears are nothing more than states of mind. One’s state of mind is subject to control and direction. As for example, physicians, as everyone knows, are less subject to attack by disease than ordinary laymen, for the reason that physicians DO NOT FEAR the diseases.
Nature has endowed man with absolute control over but one thing, and that is THOUGHT. Every human being has the ability to completely control his own mind, with this control, obviously, every person may open his mind to the tramp thought impulses which are being released by other brains, or close the doors tightly and admit only thought impulses of his own choices.
- THE FEAR OF POVERTY – The two roads that lead to poverty and riches (as in financial, spiritual, mental, material estates, etc) travel in opposite directions. If you want riches, you must refuse to accept any circumstance that lead toward poverty. If you demand riches, determine what form, and how much will be required to satisfy you. You know the road that leads to riches. You have been given a road map which, if followed, will keep you on that road. If you neglect to make the start, or stop before you arrive, no one will be to blame, but YOU. This is your responsibility. No alibi will save you from accepting the responsibility if you now fail or refuse to demand riches of Life, because the acceptance calls for but one thing – incidentally, the only thing you can control – and that is a STATE OF MIND. A state of mind is something that one assumes. It cannot be purchased, it must be created. FEAR OF POVERTY is also a state of mind, nothing else! But it is sufficient to destroy one’s chance of achievement in any undertaking. This fear paralyzes the faculty of reason, destroys the faculty of imagination, kills off self- reliance, undermines enthusiasm, discourages initiative, destroys ambition, beclouds love, turn will power in nothingness, destroys accurate thinking, leads to uncertainty of purpose, encourages procrastination, wipes out enthusiasm and make self-control an impossibility. This fear is, without doubt, the most destructive out of the six basic fears, it grow out of man’s inherited tendency to PREY UPON HIS FELLOW MAN ECONOMICALLY. The SYMPTOMS of the FEAR OF POVERTY are –
- INDIFFERENCE – Lack of ambition; willingness to tolerate poverty; mental and physical laziness; lack of initiative, imagination, enthusiasm, and self-control.
- DOUBT – Use of alibis to cover the situations, explain away, or apologize for one’s failure; envy.
- WORRY – Finding faults in others; spending beyond income; neglect of personal appearance; intemperance in the use of alcoholic drinks, narcotics; nervousness, lack of poise, self-consciousness, self-reliance.
- OVERCAUSION – Habit of looking for the negative sides only; thinking and talking of failures; waiting for “right time” to begin, until the waiting becomes a permanent habit; pessimism; auto intoxication.
- PROCRASTINATION – Habit of putting off until tomorrow that should have been done last year; spending time in creating alibis to have done the job; doubt, worry; refusal to accept responsibility; compromising with difficulties instead of harnessing and using them as stepping stone of advancement.
- Planning what to do IF AND WHEN OVERTAKEN BY FAILURE, INSTEAD OF BURNING ALL BRIDGES AND MAKINF RETREAT IMPOSSIBLE.
- EXPECTING POVERTY INSTEAD OF DEMANDING RICHES. Association with those who accept poverty instead of seeking the company of those who demand and receive riches.
- THE FEAR OF CRITICISM – This fear takes on many forms, the majority of which are petty and trivial. The fear of criticism is universal as the fear of poverty, it is fatal, and robs man of his initiative, destroys his power of imagination, limits his individuality, takes away his self-reliance, and does his damage in a hundred other ways. Criticism will plan FEAR in human heart, or resentment, but it will never build love or affection. The symptoms of FEAR OF CRITICISM are –
- SELF CONSCIOUSNESS – Generally expressed through nervousness, timidity in conversation and meeting strangers, awkward movement of hands, limbs, shifting of eyes.
- LACK OF POISE – Expressed through lack of voice control, nervousness in the presence of others, poor body posture, poor memory.
- PERSONALITY – Lacking in firmness of decision, personal charm, and ability to express opinions definitely, agreeing with others without careful examination of their opinions.
- INFERIORITY COMPLEX – Using “big words” to impress others (without even knowing their real meaning), imitating others in dress, speech and manners, boasting imaginary achievements.
- EXTRAVAGANCE – The habit of trying to “keep up with the Joneses”, spending beyond one’s income.
- LACK OF INITIATIVE – Failure to embrace opportunities for self-advancement, fear to express opinions, lack confidence in one’s own idea, giving evasive answers to questions asked, deceit in both words and deeds.
- LACK OF AMBITION – Mental and physical laziness, lack of self-assertion, slowness in reaching decisions, easily influenced by others, habit of criticising others behind their backs and flattering them to their faces, habit of accepting defeat without protest, quitting an undertaking when opposed by others, unwilling to accept blames for mistakes, lacking in tactfulness of manner and speech.
- THE FEAR OF ILL HEALTH – This fear may be traced both physical and social heredity. It is closely associated, as to its origin, with the cause of fear of OLD AGE and the fear of DEATH, because it lead one closely to the border of “terrible worlds” of which man knows nothing, but concerning which he has been taught some discomforting stories. In general, man fears ill health because of the terrible pictures which have been planted in his mind of what may happen if death should overtake him. He also fear it because of the economic toll which it may claim. There is overwhelming evidence that disease sometimes begins in the form of negative thought impulse. Such an impulse may be passed from one mind to another, by suggestion, or created by an individual in his own mind. The symptoms of FEAR OF ILL HEALTH are –
- AUTO SUGGESTION – The habit of negative use of self suggestion by looking for, and expecting to find the symptoms of all kinds of disease.
- HYPOCHONDRIA (medical term for imaginary disease) – The habit of talking of illness, concentrating the mind upon disease, and expecting its appearance until a nervous break occurs.
- EXERCISE – Fear of ill health often interferes with proper physical exercise, and results in over-weight, by causing one to avoid outdoor activities.
- SUSCEPTIBILITY – Fear of ill health breaks down Nature’s resistance, and creates a favourable condition for any form of disease one may contact.
- SELF CODDLING – The habit of making a bid of sympathy, using imaginary illness as the lure. The habit of feeling illness to cover plain laziness, or to serve an alibi for lack of ambition.
- INTEMPERANCE – The habit of using alcohol or narcotics to destroy pains such as headaches, neuralgia, etc., instead of eliminating the cause.
- THE FEAR OF LOSS OF LOVE – Jealousy, and other similar forms of dementia praecox grow out of man’s inherited fear of loss of love of someone. This fear is the most painful of all the six basic fears. It probably plays more havoc with the body and the mind than any other basic fears, as it often lead to permanent insanity. The symptoms of THE FEAR OF LOSS OF LOVE are –
- JEALOUSY (a form of dementia praecox which sometimes becomes violent without slightest cause) – Habit of being suspicious of friends and loved ones without any reasonable evidence of sufficient grounds.
- FAULT FINDING – Habit of finding fault with friends, relatives, business associates and loved ones upon the slightest provocation, or without any cause whatsoever.
- GAMBLING – Habit of gambling, stealing, cheating, and otherwise taking hazardous chances to provide money for loved ones, with the belief that love can be bought.
- THE FEAR OF OLD AGE – This fear grow out of two sources, one, the thought that old age may bring with it POVERTY, and second and by far the most common source of origin, from false and cruel teachings of the past which have been too well with “fire and brimstone”, and the other being bogies cunningly designed to enslave man through fear. The symptoms of FEAR OF OLD AGE are –
- The tendency to slow down and develop an inferiority complex at the age of mental maturity, around the age of forty, falsely believing one’s self to be “slipping” because of age.
- The habit of speaking apologetically of one’s self as “being old” merely because one has reached the age of forty, or fifty, instead of reversing the rule and expressing gratitude for having reached that age of wisdom and understanding.
- The habit of killing of initiative, imagination, and self-reliance by false believing one’s self too old to exercise these qualities.
- The habit of dressing with aim of trying to appear much younger, and affecting mannerism of youth, thereby inspiring ridicule by both friends and strangers.
- THE FEAR OF DEATH – To some this is the cruellest of all the basic fears. ETERNITY is a long time. FIRE is a terrible thing. The thought of eternal punishment, with fire, not only causes man to fear death, it often causes him to lose his reason. It destroys interest in life and makes happiness impossible. In truth, NO MAN KNOWS, and no man has ever known, what heaven or hell is like, nor does any man know if either place actually exists. This fear is USELESS. Death will come, no matter what anyone may think about it. Accept it as a necessity and pass the thought out of your mind. It must be a necessity, or it would not come to all. Perhaps it is not as bad as it has been pictured. Life is energy, if it is anything. If neither energy nor matter can be destroyed, of course life cannot be destroyed. Life, like other forms of energy, may be passed through various processes of transition, or change, but it cannot be destroyed. Death is mere transition. If death is not mere transition, then comes after death except a long, eternal, peaceful sleep, and sleep is nothing to be feared. The symptoms of FEAR OF DEATH are –
- The habit of THINKING about dying instead of making the most of LIFE, due to lack of purpose, or lack of suitable occupation. The greatest of all remedies for the fear of death is a BURNING DESIRE FOR ACHIEVEMENT, backed by useful service to others. A busy person seldom has time to think about dying.
- Ill health, poverty, lack of appropriate occupation, disappointment over love, insanity, religious fanaticism.
If we can understand the truth of the universe may be then we could learn to overcome our fears – https://theanamikapandey.com/srimad-bhagavad-gita/
OLD MAN WORRY
Worry is a state of mind based upon fear. It works slowly, but persistently. It is insidious and subtle. Step by step it “digs itself in” until it paralyzes one’s reasoning faculty, destroys self-confidence and initiative. Worry is a form of sustained fear caused by indecision therefore it is a state of mind which can be controlled. An unsettled mind is helpless. Indecision makes an unsettled mind. DECISION give man resignation to his fate! Decision can also prevent one’s acceptance of undesired circumstances. The six basic fears can be translated into a state of worry, through indecision.
Author advices, to relive yourself, forever of the fear of death, by reaching a decision to accept death as inescapable event. Whip the fear of poverty by reaching the decision to get along whatever wealth you can accumulate without worry. Put your foot upon the neck of the fear of criticism by reaching a decision not to worry about what other people think, say, or do. Eliminate the fear of old age by reaching a decision to accept it, not as a handicap, but as a great blessing which carries with it wisdom, self-control, and understanding not known to youth. Acquit yourself of the fear of ill health by the decision to forget symptoms. Master the fear of loss of love by reaching decision to get along without love, if that is necessary.
Kill the habit of worry, in all its forms, by reaching a general, blanket decision that nothing which life has to offer is worth the price of worry. With decision will come poise, peace of mind, and calmness of thought which will bring happiness.
THE DEVIL WORKSHOP: THE SEVENTH BASIC EVIL
Author describes that, beside the six basic fears, there another devil, whose presence is often not detected, it is more deeply seated and more often fatal than all of the six fears. It is SUSCEPTIBILITY TO NEGATIVE INFLUENCES. Men who accumulate great riches always protect themselves against this evil! The poverty stricken never do! Those who succeed in any calling must prepare their minds to resist this evil. This seventh basic evil is more difficult to master, because it strikes when you are not aware of its presence, when you are asleep, and while you are awake. Moreover, its weapon is intangible, because it consists of merely – a STATE OF MIND. This evil is also dangerous because it strikes in as many different forms of there are human experiences. Sometimes it enters the mind through the well-meant words of one’s own relatives. At times, it bores from within, through one’s mental attitude. Always it is as deadly as poison, even though it may not kill as quickly.
To protect yourself against negative influences, whether of your own making, or the result of the activities of negative people around you, recognize that you have a WILL-POWER, and put it into constant use, until it builds a wall of immunity against negative influences in your mind. Recognize that everyone, by nature, are lazy, indifferent, and susceptible to all suggestions which harmonize with your weaknesses. Recognize that everyone, by nature, are susceptible to all the six basic fears, and set up. Recognize that negative influences often work on you through your subconscious mind, therefore they are difficult to detect, and keep your mind closed against all people who depress or discourage you in any way. Deliberately seek the company of people who influence you to THINK AND ACT FOR YOURSELF!
Author says that, people who do not succeed have one distinguishing trait in common, they know all the reason for failure, and have what they believe to be air-tight alibis to explain away their own lack of achievement. Some of these alibis are clever, and few of them are justified by facts. But alibis cannot be used for money. The world wants to know only one thing – HAVE YOU ACHIEVED SUCCESS?
Building alibis with which to explain away failure is a national pastime. The habit is so old as the human race, and is fatal to success! But why do people cling to their pet alibis? The answer is obvious. They defend their alibis because they create them! A man’s alibi is the child of his own imagination. Its human nature to defend one’s own brain-child. These habits are difficult to break, especially when they provide justification for something we do.
In parting author reminds that, “Life is checkboard, and the player opposite you is TIME. If you hesitate before moving, or neglect to move promptly, you men will be wiped off the board by TIME. You are playing against a partner who will not tolerate INDECISION!”
Phew! this was all about the great, infact the greatest book, THINK AND GROW RICH, by NAPOLEON HILL sir. Honestly, speaking, summarizing such a great book is beyond one’s capability, because summaries cannot give that same vibe as reading that book could, but have tried my best to pour the knowledge in minimum words so that those who cannot afford reading the whole book, can atleast get the knowledge from the summaries.
Soon, will come up with new summaries, till then –
KEEP READING, KEEP GROWING, AND KEEP SUPPORTING!